The Caribe (lit. "the Caribbean") is a Venezuelan prototype submachine gun.
Little is known about the developmental history of the Caribe. The weapon was developed by Venezuelan state-owned company CAVIM. Government sources claim that it has been in development since 2006.
The Caribe was first revealed in June 2018, when CAVIM president Carlos Armas López delivered a replica to the General Commander of the Venezuelan Military, Jesús Suárez Chourio. CAVIM also released a promotional video around the same time.
In May 24, 2019, on the live inauguration ceremony of the FICTEC FANB 2019 expo, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro approved the allocation of 6,833,385 euros (over seven million US Dollars) for the development of the Caribe, and suggested issuing it to the Venezuelan militia.
In June 2019, Rear Admiral Carlos Molina Tamayo (Spanish Wikipedia), former director of the Directorate-General for Weapons and Explosives (DAEX) in the Venezuelan Armed Forces (currently exiled in Europe), criticized the Caribe as a publicity stunt, stating that the weapon has unresolved issues with reliability.
The Caribe is a hammer-fired bullpup submachine gun chambered in 9x19mm. It is select-fire and has a rate of fire of around 1,200 rpm. The weapon is sometimes shown with a threaded muzzle, and a suppressor for the weapon appears to be in development.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 https://armamentresearch.com/venezuelan-caribe-sub-machine-gun/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ejercitofanb/status/1006927390721957889?lang=en
- ↑ https://www.infodefensa.com/latam/2019/05/27/noticia-maduro-asigna-millones-dolares-cavim-subfusil-caribe.html
- ↑ https://www.infobae.com/america/venezuela/2019/05/27/como-es-y-para-que-sirve-la-subametralladora-caribe-que-nicolas-maduro-ordeno-fabricar-para-las-milicias-bolivarianas/
- ↑ http://www.hispanopost.com/arma-de-maduro-se-deforma-a-los-300-disparos
- Subametralladora Cavim Caribe
- “Caribe” el fusil que se construirá en Venezuela y será dado a Milicianos