Field tests with the Type 56 Carbine have proven alright so far, but still leaving much to be desired. In its current state, I've taken it on patrols twice and I'm satisfied with how the shooting grip feels, but just as I suspected before outfitting it like it is now, it is heavier than it was before, and on the second patrol I took it on, I uncovered a few more gripes I have with its ergonomics and versatility (Talking specifically about attachments).
What I Have:
- TAPCO Intrafuse Stock (FDE)
- TAPCO Removeable SKS Magazines (Black, x3)
- MAGPUL Angled Fore Grip-2 (AFG-2)
- Filed the material inside of the receiver to prevent magazine fed rounds from scraping the metal and causing failures
What I Want:
- MAGPUL MOE Buttstock (FDE)
- TAPCO Ultimate Accessory Rail Set
- FAB Defense Tactical Grip w/ 1in Flashlight Adapter
- G-Sight Gladiator Weapon Mounted Laser Sight (Blue)
- TAPCO SKS Polymer Magazines (10rd x3, 20rd x2)
- MagWedge Extended SKS Mag Release
- Filing the stripper clip guide to allow useage of normal SKS stripper clips (Something the 56 is pretty notorious for not being capable of normally)
- LIGHTENING CUTS!!!
That is all I can think of at the moment to cover various needs and gripes I have had with the TAPCO stock and various features I'm lacking. Call me Bubba all you want, but to be fair, I do feel somewhat guilty for modifying the permanent pieces on a beautiful old service rifle. But if I did it, I might as well go all the way, and someday in the (hopefully near) furture, I'll be picking up a regular old SKS of some kind and not touching a bloody thing on it, I am leaving it all original, because I do indeed feel extremely guilty lol.
That said, if you have a suggestion on another thing I could add to cover another tactical need, don't hesitate to let me know. Also, to those who know a decent sum about these rifles, let me know what your personal favorite SKS type is, be it Chinese, Russian, Yugo, Albanian, E. German, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. and if I can find it (And you've convinced me of its quality over a cheapo China boi), that might be the SKS I get. I want to have a variation of every SKS one of these days, but of course seeing as I don't make a huge amount of money, I'm going to opt for Chinese, Russian or Yugo when I have the money and drive.